Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Selfish Giant Diorama

This is a diorama that we had to make for Interpretive Illustration class, based on a scene of a novel, I chose "The Selfish Giant" by Oscar Wilde, and adapted a scene, where the giant is looking outside his garden, where is always winter, and wondering when the spring is going to come to his land. I wanted to make a contrast between the snowy and cold part behind the wall and the heavy green warm exterior. Everything you see here was made from scratch.
First stage was making the box, the basic shape of the ground and wall, then the trees, with twisted wire, coated and painted. Then paint the background.
Here I painted the trees, I covered the ground with plaster, and gave it an undercoat of paint. I also glued the foliage to the trees.

Here I painted the wall and glued the static grass to the ground, I also stuck the trees into place, also I made some mushrooms. I started making the giant, with a structure of wire and a body of styrofoam, the head is a block of styrofoam and cut down to a ball shape, then I put some epoxy putty on it and sculpted the face, the back of the head was covered by his hood. The beard and hair I made with my roommate's artificial hair (free material).

Here you can see the sign, before painting, and hanging it, and the mushrooms, I added more later.


This is the final product, it is a bad picture because I was in a rush to hand it in, and I havent gotten it back yet, I will post a better pic when I do.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sol said...

Love ur stuff hermano. Keep going.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is the coolest shit i've ever seen holy moly Paolo you are my new hero....you have to teach me this cause i wanna do something like this for my portfilio with fairy's in it YES FAIRYS!! cudos my friend
jess

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ese cuento siempre me encantó y me gustó mucho como lo representaste! Aspetto la foto che hai promesso, auguri Ciccio!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home